Time Strategies

I have struggled with time management for several years. I live and work in Edmond, and I commute to Norman twice a week this semester. When I first got a job at the retirement community, it was really difficult to me to balance schoolwork, especially since I was commuting to Norman five days per week. Over time, I gradually got the hang of things and I was able to make time for school, work, and a little time with friends and family. However, that was not sufficient enough for me; I wanted to be able to have more time for friends and family and other hobbies that I used to be so committed to. After reading the Myth of "Too Busy", I realized that was me. I always claimed I was too busy, but I was actually simply not prioritizing my time towards the things that mattered most to me. I love to hike, mountain bike, ride horses, take my dogs for walks, cook, and many other things that I thought I simply did not have time for. In reality, I was not making time for them.


Image information: Can't Stop. Too Busy!! Alan O'Rourke

The other thing that I struggled with, especially last semester, was procrastination. One of my least favorite things to do related to school is writing research papers. It is so difficult for me to get started on a research paper because I constantly dreaded doing the assignment. This has paralyzed me during the research process. Last semester, I had five research papers to write, totaling at over seventy-five pages. Just the thought of writing that many pages made me cringe, so I put it off for weeks. I read the article called How to Beat Procrastination and I am going to try to follow his framework. Instead of writing "complete 15-page research paper" on my checklist, I will start with "write an introduction for my research paper." Hopefully this will allow me to start on my projects sooner and not procrastinate for so long.


Image information: Do it now, Walter Lim

I hope in this semester that I will be able to utilize my time better than ever because I only have classes two days per week, which allows me to spend the other five days working and participating in my favorite hobbies. Since I have completed my senior capstone already, I feel that this semester will be a little more relaxed than the last. I hope to change my perspective and instead of just "being busy," I hope to make time for the things that matter most.

Comments