Topic Brainstorm


After reading through all of the options, I decided on four options that I will brainstorm this week. The first one that stood out to me was the Irish Ghost Stories. There are a few reasons why I am so interested in this topic. First, as I mentioned in my Favorite Places, Ireland is absolutely one of my favorite places to visit. The land is beautiful and the culture is so interesting. Secondly, I love ghost stories. Ever since I was a kid, I have loved hearing ghost stories and watching scary movies. So, the combination of the two seems like it would be something great for me to write about. I do not have a lot of previous knowledge about Irish Ghost stories. The only connection that I have is that I have seen the Belvedere Hotel in Dublin, that is thought to be haunted. I did not go inside of it, but I remember seeing it on the streets. I would really like to learn more about the Irish culture and stories because I think their culture is so intriguing. I would like to tell stories about possibly haunted rooms in the Belvedere Hotel, or maybe along one of the main streets in downtown Dublin. I am looking forward to doing more research on this topic for Week 3.

The second option that stood out to me was The Land of Oz. Although this seems like a random topic idea, I have loved the story of the Wizard of Oz since I was a little girl. I watch this movie several times a year and it never gets old. The only knowledge I have about the Land of Oz is the movie, The Wizard of Oz. I have never read the book or heard of any other stories about it. I think it would be really fun and interesting to read the stories and explore Frank Baum's whole series of Oz books. There are so many different books written by Baum, so it seems like there are countless numbers of stories that I could tell. One idea is that I could write my own version of the classic Wizard of Oz, which is basically Baum's first story in the series. I could read it, and then change a plot twist or character to make it my own. 




Image information: The Marvelous Land of Oz, written by L. Frank Baum. Web source.

The third option that I was interested in was Alice in Wonderland. This is another story that I fell in love with as a child. Similar to The Land of Oz, I have not read any of the Alice in Wonderland stories. I have only watched the original movie and the remake of the movie, which came out several years ago. I do not have any knowledge of this outside of the original film. I think it would be really interesting to write a story either with a different character and the same plot, or even making Alice be a hero in a different setting. There are so many options, so this is something that I would need to explore further by possibly reading one of the stories. 

The fourth and final option that stood out to me was the Fairy Tales. As you can probably tell from my last two options, I always loved fairy tales. There are so many different stories that you can create from one fairy tale. Being able to explore another culture and create your own story surrounding one of their fairy tales would be really fun. One of the areas I was really interested in was the English Fairy Tales, specifically Robin Hood. There are so many different authors and versions of Robin Hood, so I believe it would be easy to create another story and be able to make it unique. The story that I can imagine in my head right now would be a story where Robin Hood is in a different setting, possibly contemporary America.

Comments