Introduction to a Future Neonatologist

Hi everybody, my name is Arianna Fryer. I am currently studying International Studies at the University of Oklahoma and I am planning to graduate this spring. Although my major does not sound as exciting as others, it is actually very interesting once you start learning about the world. International Studies classes open your mind to ideas, places, and cultures that you have never thought about. During my first year as an IAS major, I learned about countries that I had never heard of before. Initially I chose IAS because I wanted to be involved in international work, and I started learning Russian language. I am currently on my fourth semester of Russian and it is a lot harder than I had expected, but I still love it. One of my favorite classes that I have taken at OU was a class called Human Trafficking. It sounds depressing and a little morbid, but it was incredibly eye opening to learn about the issues that millions of women face all over the world. I never knew that human trafficking was as prominent as it is, even in the United States. I think it is really important to raise awareness about these issues and provide education for the upcoming generation so we have the ability to fight it. My biggest accomplishment last semester was definitely my grades. I was able to work approximately twenty-five hours a week in Edmond, and I was still able to maintain good grades, which I was really proud of. 


I am not really big into reading books, but I love to watch movies. I enjoy all kinds of movies. One of my favorite movies is Bridge of Spies because it correlated perfectly with the career that I previously wanted - the life of a CIA agent. My favorite genre of music is country. I love old country and new country music, with a few exceptions. I love going to country music festivals and concerts. Tim McGraw is probably one of my favorites. I also love Christian music, as my family is pretty spiritual. My favorite Christian artist is probably Chris Tomlin. His voice is so peaceful and relaxing; it is great music to study to.

I have so many goals because goals are what drive my motivation. I have a few short-term goals, which includes finishing my last semester of college with all As. I also hope to get a good job when I graduate that I will keep until I get accepted into medical school (hopefully!). My biggest and most important long-term goal is becoming a neonatologist. This has been one of my dreams since I first learned what a neonatologist was, around the age of nine. I diverted off this career path a couple of times, but I have continuously come back to it, which shows me that it is what I want to devote my life to. I have always had a desire to help people, especially children. I think neonatology is such an awarding career and it would bring me great happiness to be able to help babies when they need it the most. Another one of my goals is to own a cabin in the Colorado mountains. I have always been a huge outdoorsman. I absolutely love camping, hiking, mountain biking, and any other activity that takes place in the mountains. My favorite place in Colorado is Telluride, but I also love the Grand Tetons in Wyoming, too. Both of those places are beautiful.


Image Information: Personal photo taken of Titan, my Labrador retriever when we were camping in Alta Lakes near Telluride, Colorado. Photo taken in July 2017.

To save the best for last, I have several pets. I have four horses, two cats, and five dogs. We have a red Labrador retriever, a Siberian husky, a Pit-bull boxer mix, and two mix breeds dogs that we rescued from the Central Oklahoma Humane Society. I have loved riding horses and spending my day at the barn since I was four years old. I still have the first horse my parents bought me at the age of four, and he is now 24. I recently purchased a young Quarter horse who is four years old. My sister has a Paint horse with blue eyes, and my mom has an Andalusian, which is a breed from Spain that was used as Spanish war horses. I am a huge animal person, so we love to rescue animals and adopt from the shelter. 


Image information: Personal photo taken of Bella, my four year old Quarter horse. Photo taken March 2016.

Comments

  1. Oh, how great that you are studying Russian, Arianna! I was a Polish major in college, and I studied Russian too. The Russian folktale and fairy tale tradition is one of the greatest in the world, so maybe that is something you will want to explore for a class project! Maybe you could imagine a story about a CIA agent in Russia where somehow fairy tales provide the clues for the international espionage drama! Or maybe you could collect Russian fairy tales to share with children in your future career: it's always good to have stories ready to share! You might get some idea by looking at the beautiful Russian laquer box tradition; many of them are inspired by fairy tales: Russian Fairy Tales / Laquer Boxes ... or ANIMALS: thank you for the beautiful pictures! As you can imagine, horses are some of the most important figures in myth and legend all around the world. And from your own horses, you know why they captivate the human imagination. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Arianna! Congratulations on this being your last semester! I'm sure you'll get into medical school. And wow Russian, that sounds amazing! I only know a little bit about Russian culture- well mostly about the Russian Olympics because, come on who doesn't love the Olympics? But that seems super interesting! And it totally fits with being a CIA agent!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Arriana, good to meet you! I had a friend who just graduated with an International Security degree, which I think is in the same college as you! I don't think it sounds boring at all, it's nice to be able to see things through a global lens.

    You have so many pets! Both of them that you pictured are gorgeous. I have two cats but they live at home with my parents so I'm stuck missing them all year. Best of luck on your medical education journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Arianna! Your major sounds really interesting! I love learning about different parts of the world, whether it be about the culture or the issues going on. I also love that you want to be a neonatologist, because I am also a Pre-Med student wanting to help children in the future :) I haven't decided what kind of doctor I want to be just yet, I just know I want to be a pediatric something.

    Wow, I am jealous of all of your pets! The pictures of your dog and horse are so adorable.

    Congrats on all your accomplishments thus far, and good luck to you in the future!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Arianna, nice to meet you! I actually took a class on Human Trafficking when I was studying abroad in Italy and it was very interesting. However, I am not very knowledgable with any other things in the IAS major and I was actually not very familiar with what it was until you explained it. I love the pictures of all of your pets and that you rescued two dogs from the animal shelter. That is always something that I have wanted to do and hope I do in the future. I have not rode a horse before but I would love to try. I hope you have a great semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Arianna, it's nice to meet you. That is awesome that you have continued to take Russian language courses. I only know one person who has taken Russian, and I heard from her that it was pretty difficult. Also, that's super impressive that you were able to accomplish getting a 4.0 in school. I hope you achieve your academic goals this semester, and good luck as you enter the medical field!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Arianna!
    The picture of your horse caught my eye! I used to have a dappled gray quarter horse as well, her name was Missy. It sounds like you're really driven and passionate about helping others. It's cool that you're pairing an IAS major with the science classes required for Medical School. I have some friends who study IAS and I know the value that world studies brings to the table!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Arianna!
    I think it is awesome that you have had such a broad education, and it will definitely make you a better doctor in the end! I am on my last semester too, and am actually starting medical school in the fall. I think it is great that you already know what you want to do specialty-wise, because i have absolutely no idea. Good luck I am sure you will get in just keep persevering!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Arianna,
    I had a friend who just graduated with an International Security degree, which I think is in the same college as you, what a coincidence. You have so many pets! Both of them that you pictured are gorgeous.I have two cats and two dogs, but they all live with my parents, so I get sad sometimes that I don't see them very often.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hi Arianna! I think it’s so cool that you are studying international studies at OU. My brother graduated with that degree and I have another friend graduating with that degree this semester as well. That is so awesome that you want to go to medical school after you graduate. That sounds like a very tough but rewarding career path. I wish you the best of luck.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi Arianna! I'm so impressed with your work ethic! I'm from Edmond and was driving back and forth for work when I was still a sophomore, but only on the weekends. I had trouble just with that, I can't imagine working 25 hours a week like that on top of keeping up with school. Also, I love that you have so many animals! Titian is such an awesome dog name, and both he and Bella are beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Arianna! I actually know your pain about working 25 hours a week in Edmond, because that's my current situation this semester. That drive definitely gets old, but it proves we're ready for the real world, right?? Being an IAS major sounds so awesome, my sister actually minored in IAS so I know a little about it. Traveling is one of my favorite things to do, which I can tell we share that! Best of luck in the future - I know you'll succeed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hey Ariana! International studies sounds very interesting! I wish to travel and learn about other cultures and this major sounds like a perfect dream come true!I hope you finish this semester well and i believe that you will do well outside also.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Arianna,
    It was so interesting to read about your major. I have heard of international studies but wasn't sure what all it entailed, so it was great to hear it from you! You sound very driven and I am confident that you will get into med school. Did you not want a science based major even though you are planning on going to med school? I only ask because I am science major and want to go into the medical field as well. Your Labrador is adorable and I look forward to reading your blog!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Best of luck with medical school applications! I love the diversity of being an IAS applicant... a lot of my friends who are applying to med school are pre-med students with a major in Letters, and that difference in focus has seemed to serve them really well as they apply. Also, that's really impressive that you work so much per week and are still able to maintain good grades. Snaps for you!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Arianna! I think it is great that you took such a liking to that Human Trafficking course. It truly is a serious and important topic, especially here in Oklahoma. Due to the crossing of so many interstates here, Oklahoma has become like a hub for trafficking. As for that short time goal of getting all As this semester... how is that going so far? I think you can do it. You sound like a passionate person.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey Arianna!
    I have been really interested in International Studies for awhile and considered double majoring in it since it compliments my major so well, linguistics. One of my friends is also learning Russian. I feel like he is always studying for those classes and talking about how challenging they are. I wish you the best of luck with your studies and with your future plans of medical school. My brother is in his fourth year and just had match day, so I know you've got a huge task ahead of you, but you sound like you are more than capable. My brother keeps trying to get me to apply and always mentions that they love it when you have a major outside of a hard science field, so I bet you have a great chance of getting into a really good one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Arianna,
    First off, congratulations on being so close to graduation! It sounds like you are a hard worker and this semester is no exception. I know a few IAS majors, and the courses all sound really cool! One of my best friends is studying to be a nurse in neonatology. It sounds like a really hard but rewarding field. You have a ton of pets! I can only imagine how lively your house must be! Good luck with your last semester, I can’t wait to read more of your writings.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment