Reading Notes: American Indian Fairy Tales, Part A

Iagoo, the Story-Teller

For this week's reading, I chose to pick a story from the American Indian Fairy Tales unit to focus on. I chose Iagoo, the Story-Teller. This story is about an Indian named Iagoo, who knew far more stories than everyone else. He was so wise and the children loved him. One night, Iagoo was in the forest and he built a wigwam to protect them from the wind. The North Wind blew and blew, which scared one of the little girls. But Iagoo informed her that the North Wind cannot hurt anyone who is brave and cheerful. Then he began to tell her the story of how Shin-ge-bis fooled the North Wind, which leads into the next story of this unit.

If I was going to rewrite this story to make it my own, I probably would not change the overall message of the story. Instead, I would likely change the setting of the story.







Bibliography:

Iagoo, the Story-Teller in American Indian Fairy Tales by W.T. Larned, with illustrations by John Rae (1921). 


Image information:

Indian by Firelight. Web Source.



Comments