Week 8 Reading and Writing

Personally, I think the reading and writing assignments are going very well. I have never taken a creative writing class, or any other writing class besides my Comp classes my freshman year. Most of the writing that I have done during my college career has been research papers, so this is a nice change for me. My favorite reading that I have done so far has been The Wonderful Wizard of Oz by L. Frank Baum. That book has really given me a new perspective on The Wizard of Oz. My reading notes really help me write my story - I would not be able to write it without them. The best strategy that I use is to first summarize the story so I can remember all the key characters and plot twists. Then, I write about how I would change the story if I rewrote it. For example, if I did not like the ending or the overall message, I write how I would change it. Then when I go back to read my notes, I know exactly what path I want to follow when I start my story. Right now, I am happy with my class project, mostly because I enjoy the book I am reading for it. I really like how I am able to combine the stories of Dorothy and Alice to make my own unique story. I think my biggest accomplishment in this class was simply the fact that I learned that all writing does not have to be academic. It allowed me to change my mind and perspective in the way that I think, in order to develop a more creative style of writing. It did take a couple of weeks for my brain to really click in, but I am now able to do it.




This is my favorite image from a previous reading notes post over Nigerian Folk Stories. I chose this image because elephants are my favorite animals and the Nigerian Folk Stories was my favorite unit that we have focused on so far in this class. I really enjoyed The Elephant and the Tortoise from that unit, and I chose this picture which fit the story line perfectly!

Looking forward, I think that there are a few things that I want to do in order to get more out of the reading. First, I want to really dive deeper into the stories. I typically only read the stories once, and then create my own version. Secondly, I would like to change up my reading notes strategies in order to see if there is something that works even better for me. I am going to really focus on these two things for the coming weeks to see if my stories improve. 



Image information:

Asian Elephant and its baby. Web Source.

Comments