Learning Challenge: Why Sleep May Be More Important Than Studying


For my Learning by H.E.A.R.T. reading, I chose an article called “Why Sleeping May Be More Important Than Studying” by Katrina Schwartz. I chose this article because it relates so much with the college lifestyle. Students are so busy trying to balance personal life, school life, and their work life, which makes it difficult sometimes to get an adequate amount of sleep. One thing that this article confirmed for me that I already knew was the fact that staying up all night to study for an exam will backfire. I always see students pulling all-nighters before a final, and I have always felt that it simply does not work. Although you may think so, you cannot cram so much material into your brain in one night and be able to remember it. I have always been adamant on making sure that I study enough during the day so I am able to go to sleep at a decent time.


One new thing that I learned that I did not know before was about the different stages that occur during your sleep. I knew there were stages, but I did not know what was happening in each stage. I have not previously heard of the Rapid Eye Movement (REM) sleep. This stage is vital, especially to students, because it allows your brain to solidify the information that you learned that day and to clear your mind of all of the useless information that you no longer need. I would really like to learn more about this aspect of sleep because I think it is really interesting. I really want to push myself to make sure that I am allowing myself to get enough sleep in order to have an adequate amount of time for my body to rejuvenate itself. I believe that if you treat your body well and let it rest, you will have a much more productive day.












Image information: Sleeping while studying, Xiaobin Liu. Web source.

Comments