Reading Notes: Aesop's Fables (Jacobs), Reading B

For the second half of the reading for week 3, I chose Part B of Aesop's Fables (Jacobs). There were so many interesting stories, ranging from stories about snakes and frogs to stories about humans and Gods. For my story, I chose The Man and the Serpent. This story stood out to me because it has a plot that would be easy to manipulate to create my own story.

The Man and the Serpent is about a man who stepped on the tail of a serpent and the serpent bit him and he died. Then the father of the son was angry and went out searching for the serpent. The father ended up cutting the snake's tail off when he found him. Then, to get revenge, the snake began killing the farmer's cattle. The farmer went to the snake and tried to make restore their relationship so the killing would stop. The snake denied this, and the moral of the story is Injuries may be forgiven, but not forgotten.

If I was going to rewrite this story, I would choose to change the moral of the story along with the ending. When the farmer went to the snake to restore their relationship, I would adjust the story and allow the snake to forgive him. It is easy to continue to dislike someone for something they did, but it is incredibly difficult to forgive someone and move on. I believe this could amplify a different lesson from this story that would be more impactful.











Bibliography:

Aesop's Fables (Jacobs) from The Fables of Aesop by Joseph Jacobs (1894); The Man and the Serpent.


Image information:

The Man and the Serpent by Wenceslas Hollar (1673). Web source.


Comments