Reading Notes: Arabian Nights, Part A

For my reading for Part A of this week, I chose the Arabian Nights because I have always loved the stories of Aladdin. Specifically, I chose The Story of the Greek King and the Physician Douban. This story is one of the many that Scheherazade was telling in order to save her life. She kept coming up with stories to tell and she would never finish them, so it would have to continue into the morning.

I really like the overall message of this story - trust. If I was going to rewrite it, I would keep the same theme. However, instead of the physician trusting the king and the physician being taken advantage of, I would switch it and do the opposite. I would make the king trust the physician, but the physician will have bad intentions at the end of the day. Maybe he gives him medicine in order to harm the king without him knowing. I think that would be the most interesting way to switch this story around.


















Image information:

King Otto of Greece. Web Source.


Bibliography:

The Story of the Greek King and the Physician Douban from The Arabian Nights' Entertainments by Andrew Lang and illustrated by H. J. Ford (1898).

Comments