Reading Notes: Persian Tales, Part A

For the first half of this week's reading, I chose to dive into the Persian Tales, primarily because there were a lot of stories that were about animals. My favorite tale was the very last one, called "The Sad Tale of the Mouse's Tail." This story reminded me of a short story that I read as a child, so I picked this one.

This story was about a mouse that got caught in a mouse trap and lost her tail. She was frantic to find someone that would sew her tail back on. First, she went to the cobbler, then to the Jew, then to the hen, visiting several friends to try to fix her tail. At the end of the story, she still did not have her tail fixed.

The main thing that bothered me about this story was the fact that it was not concluded. If I was going to rewrite this story, I would circle the story back around to make her find someone to fix her tail. After all of the people that she went through and the things that she had to find, I think it would make the story a lot better if she ended with her tail sewn back on.







Bibliography:

"The Sad Tale of the Mouse's Tail." Story source: Persian Talestranslated by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer and illustrated by Hilda Roberts (1919). 


Image information:

Sad Mouse. Web Source.

Comments