Reading Notes: Persian Tales, Part B

For the second half of this week's reading, I chose another story in the Persian Tales unit. I really enjoyed the first half, so I figured I will stick to the same unit for part 2. One of the stories that stood out to me in part B was "The Story of the Wolf-Bride."

This story was about a man who was told my an akhund that his son would be cursed and torn to pieces by a wolf. The man did not want this to happen, so he build an underground chamber to house his son. After many years, it was decided that the son would need a wife. They found him a wife, and she was taken into the chamber with him about a seven-day celebration of their wedding.

Overnight, the woman turned into a wolf, killed the man, and then turned back into a woman. She did not know what to do, so she sat there until the morning came. The people buried his body, and the men said, "Whatever is willed by fate, that verily comes to pass."

The main thing that stood out to me in this story was the setting of all of it. If I rewrote it, I would write that the father did not restrict his son from living a normal life because the father did not believe the akhund's words. Maybe the father had doubts about the truth of this, so the son continued to live just like everyone else. Eventually, he met his wife and they were married. But one night, she did end up killing him. I would only change the setting of the middle of this story from the underground chamber.











Bibliography;

"The Story of the Wolf-Bride" by Persian Talestranslated by D.L.R. Lorimer and E.O. Lorimer and illustrated by Hilda Roberts (1919).


Image information:

The Wolf. Web Source.

Comments