Week 8 Comments and Feedback

So far, I have found the quality of the comments and feedback very good that I am receiving from other students in the class. The most useful comments are generally the ones that give recommendations. For example, I really liked how you tied Sarah into your story, but maybe you should explain a little more about her history. I find it really helpful to get recommendations from other people to make my stories better.

In the beginning, I feel like I was not very good at leaving feedback for other students. The main reason is because I felt like I did not want to degrade their work and make them feel like they did a bad job. Because other students' feedback was helping me, I started to give recommendations along with compliments about their writing. I really feel that reading other people's writing and making comments about it makes me a better writer and gives me more ideas.

I really enjoy reading everyone's introduction posts. It helps me understand them as a person, which further helps me to understand their writing. Generally, there is a clear pattern between the type of person and the writing they do. Many times you can tell in their story when someone is a writing major or a science major based on what their stories are about. I really like having these introduction posts in order to get to know people better, especially since it is an online class.

In order to make the feedback assignments more useful, I am going to try to read more of the feedback strategies and get different ideas from articles. There are so many different ways to provide feedback to others and I am only utilizing one or two strategies. I am also getting more comfortable helping people than I was at the beginning of the semester. 




I chose the image describing the 7 Things to Remember About Feedback because it really details many of the things that I struggled with in the beginning of this class. I really like the first point, I think it is really important to realize that feedback is not supposed to be strictly praise or evaluation. It is meant to help us grow as people and make ourselves better.






Image information:

7 Things to Remember About Feedback. Web Source.

Comments