Reading Notes: British North America, Part B

Turtle and Thunder

For the second half of this week's reading, I chose to remain on the British North America unit. All of these stories are simple and easy to understand, so I liked them a lot. For the second half, I chose to focus on the story called Turtle and Thunder. This story began with a turtle who lived in a lake and he was always hit by something, but when he came outside, nothing was there. So he went searching for someone that would help him. The deer broke his horns too quickly, the bear was too clumsy, and finally, several little turtles said they would help him. So the turtle took them back to where he lived, but a little while later, a huge stone fell upon all of the little turtles and killed them. The turtle went to see what happened, asked his neighbor, and figured out that it was a Thunder Bird. Since then, the turtle stays in the water when there is a thunderstorm.

If I was going to rewrite this story, I would change the characters up a little bit and possibly the setting, too. I may also change the ending so all of the little helpers do not die. I always prefer a happier ending. 



Water turtle. Web Source.






Bibliography:

Turtle and Thunder from Myths and Legends of British North America by Katharine Berry Judson (1917). 

Comments